Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin

George Carlin, the comedian, passed away last night. Some of you may know his name. Some of you may not. For me, I wouldn't say I was a rabid fan or an expert in all of his work, but for me, he was an influence comedically.

My thoughts that I post -- one or two sentence thoughts pointing out the absurd was very much influenced by George Carlin, though he did much more than that in his stand up routines.

He always found "word play" to be facinating as do I; why we use language the way we do and how insane the english language can be. A few posts ago, I mentioned "pre-packaging" and how strange that word is: How can something be packaged before it's packaged? That was partially inspired by a routine by George Carlin regarding airplanes where he talked about "pre-boarding."

Below are quotes from George Carlin gathered from various sources online. I think you'll see where some of my inspiration came from:

"Swimming is not a sport; swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!"

"You can’t argue with a good blowjob."

"In America, anyone can become president. That’s the problem."

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck."

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."

"Electricity is really just organized lightning."

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

"Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time. "

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little. "

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. "

"You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar. "

"The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other going in opposite directions."

No comments: